[Sca-cooks] Attention Adamantius

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Tue Sep 23 06:49:36 PDT 2003

Also sprach kattratt:
>I am coming to NY City hitting Chinatown where should I go for
>shopping fun, adventure, and finally a Dim Sum Lunch....(Yes that is
>3 questions)

My preferred dim sum house is The Nice Restaurant on East Broadway;
it's sort of a big wedding palace with tacky decor on two floors
(carved gilt dragons with light-up eyes!!! very cool!!!), but they
serve an excellent dim sum lunch daily from about 9 AM to 2 or 3 PM.
Ladies go by with the little carts of dishes, and you can also order
meal-appropriate dishes cooked more or less to order (things like big
bowls of snails or clams, or noodle dishes) off a menu.

Some prefer a place called Golden Unicorn, which is across East
Broadway, inside a sort of mall building, and dishes, prices, and
service are comparable, but GU seems to season everything with sugar.
My wife claims this is the difference between the cooking of Hong
Kong and Kwangtung proper (and of course everyone knows that
Kwangtung is better than Hong Kong ;-)  )

For Chinatown shopping you need to check out Pearl River on Broadway
(not East or West Broadway, just Broadway) about two blocks north of
Canal Street -- caveat: I have not been in there since they moved to
that location, but they always used to be a wonderful Asian
department store, with everything from groceries to clothes, musical
instruments, videos in weird formats your VCR and DVD player may or
may not handle, kitchen utensils and at least one practicing herbal
doctor and pharmacy on the premises (IOW, he will examine, diagnose
and prescribe, although we go to him for his over-the-counter stuff
like po-chai pills, a.k.a. Chinese Pepto-Bismol, white flower oil,
tiger balm, and iron strike wine (which makes a wonderful liniment
even if you're not a kung fu student learning the Iron Fist
technique). If you can go to only one store in Chinatown, that would
be my recommendation. Also fun are Kam Kuo (mysteriously pronounced
Gim Gok in my wife's dialect), similar, smaller and closer to the
center of the touristy part of Chinatown on Mott Street just north of
the Bowery. You need to visit the Egg Cake Lady in her little stall
on the corner of Mott and Mosco Streets (you can't miss it; it's the
corner that isn't a church), one block north of the Bowery. She makes
little eggy cakes in seasoned iron molds somewhere in between an
ice-cube tray and a waffle iron, apparently used by her grandfather
and father before her on that same location. She may have raised her
prices to something like $2 for a bag of cakes; she's putting her
sons through college.

For a bit of local history, you might walk off Mott Street onto Pell
Street (NYC's original, one-block-long Chinatown, from the 1820's and
30's), and from there, to the bend in Doyers Street (another
one-block-long street), site of the old Peking Opera House (now,
fittingly, the site of a post office, allegedly haunted) and where,
in the 1890's and early 1900's, hired guns from China walked the
streets in chain mail and steel helmets, bringing the phrase "tong
war" into mainstream English.

Finally, stand in the middle of Columbus Park (cut down one block
down Mosco to Mulberry Street, from the Egg Cake Lady's stall) and
realize you're standing on the site of Freshwater Pond, a.k.a. The
Collect, later drained to create Paradise Square and the convergence
of five streets known collectively as The Five Points, known until
the 1920's as The Toughest Neighborhood In America, and the site
where "The Gangs of New York" is set.

>Finally we will be staying in Downtown NY City and are looking for
>an excellent restaurant... I know that you can give excellent
>suggestions.  Thanks for your help.

I've always had a soft spot for Chanterelle in SoHo, especially now
that Bouley (at least the restaurant of that name) is gone. Then
there's Vong or Aja, both owned by Jean-George Vongerichten, sort of
fusion cuisine. It depends largely on what you like and are willing
to spend exorbitantly on, and what you can't get locally. Maybe you
can tell me a little more about what you're interested in. God, I
remember having disposable income... ;-)

Adamantius