[Sca-cooks] Redacting another Jewish dish (fwd)

Tara Sersen Boroson tara at kolaviv.com
Wed Sep 24 11:08:38 PDT 2003

>The authors' translation doesn't include the beginning phrase, "On FRIDAYS... her mistress used to make..."  [Emphasis added]  I think the significant thing is that she was making a certain dish regularly on Fridays.  This would be an indication to the Inquisitors that the woman might have been secretly observing the Jewish Sabbath.  I don't think the absense of bacon fat is an issue here, since Christians would be abstaining from meat on Fridays.

You are probably right, though using olive oil rather than butter might
also have played a part?  However, the book also specifies "The
Inquisition's informants keyed on the principal ingredient of the main
dish, it's relation to the Jewish or Christian calender of ritual, and a
few foods - chard, chickpeas, eggplant - that old-Christians associated
with Semitic cuisine."  So, it may have been the use of chard in that
particular season, combined with it's particular use on Fridays, that
drew attention.  I wonder what record there is of foods associated with
seasonal rituals for Jews at that time?  Certainly, there are enough
seasonal foods these days - charoset, latkes, etc.

-Magdalena vander Brugghe

--
Tara Sersen Boroson

You cannot teach a man anything, you can only help him to find it for himself. - Galileo Galilei