[Sca-cooks] Redacting another Jewish dish (fwd)

Tara Sersen Boroson tara at kolaviv.com
Wed Sep 24 12:47:47 PDT 2003

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net wrote:

>> The authors' translation doesn't include the beginning phrase, "On
>>FRIDAYS... her mistress used to make..."  [Emphasis added]  I think the
>>significant thing is that she was making a certain dish regularly on
>>Fridays.  This would be an indication to the Inquisitors that the woman
>>might have been secretly observing the Jewish Sabbath.  I don't think the
>>absense of bacon fat is an issue here, since Christians would be
>>abstaining from meat on Fridays.
>>

>Hm... does that maybe mean the dish is to be served cold?

Come to think of it, for a Saturday feast, everything would be cold unless it could have been left on a fire to keep warm without tending.  Or it would have to be served long enough after dark that it could have been cooked after sunset.  Perhaps a converso could have had her servants tend to the food on Saturday  - the period equivalent of the modern "Sabbath Goy" - but that would have made false conversos extremely obvious, so maybe not.

-Magdalena

--
Tara Sersen Boroson

You cannot teach a man anything, you can only help him to find it for himself. - Galileo Galilei