[Sca-cooks] Redacting another Jewish dish (fwd)

Tara Sersen Boroson tara at kolaviv.com
Wed Sep 24 13:58:07 PDT 2003

Ok, here's the logic I used.  In the accounts listed in A Touch of
Honey, the charges were generally brought based on the fact that the
servant (or neighbor, etc.) observed the converso engaging in cooking
procedures or ingredients that were stereotypically Semitic.  Therefore
I am making the assumption that these middle class wives were active in
their kitchens.  It's also clear from these accounts that they used
their servents in the kitchen - but seemingly not exclusively.  To break
that habit on Sabbath and stop their normal work, assigning it entirely
to servents who were otherwise accustomed to their mistress' help, would
be as no less or more obvious than using an ingredient like chard, or
not using bacon fat.  Agreed, it would not be obvious if it happened
occasionally (as per your "anna - i have a bad headache" example,) but
if it happened *every* Friday night and Saturday day, the pattern would
become obvious.

-Magdalena

--
Tara Sersen Boroson

You cannot teach a man anything, you can only help him to find it for himself. - Galileo Galilei