[Sca-cooks] Redacting another Jewish dish (fwd)

Zachary Kessin zkessin at cs.brandeis.edu
Fri Sep 26 04:43:28 PDT 2003

Well, it is the custom, in order to show that we are not karrites, to
have warm food for lunch on Shabbat. In modern times people use a
crock pot or hot plate or the like, but in period they would have
used a fire that had been banked and the like. Mostly you would have
some form of a stew.

If anyone likes I can try to have a friend find the laws of this in
the Shulkan Aruch or the RAMBAM's Mishna Torah. But it will have to
wait until next week. Both of those works are period books of Jewish
law. And they are both still studied and used today.

Now this being said the Conversos were not holding strictly to Jewish
law, as they were pretending to be christians. So who knows what they
did.

--Yehoshua