[Sca-cooks] Need Help with a recipe...

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Wed Sep 24 20:40:31 PDT 2003

Also sprach me:
>I believe you strain the freshly made almond milk (removing most of
>the solids in the process), boil it until it thickens, then drain
>_that_ in the towel. See, if you drain the unstrained milk on a
>towel, what you're throwing away is milk, and what you're saving is
>more or less useless, fibrous pulp. It does have some use, but not
>here. Whereas if you strain the freshly made milk, toss the pulp,
>boil the milk until it thickens, and drain it on a towel (it may be
>that, like some cream cheese recipes, you don't actually need to
>hang it up in the towel, but just sort of spread it on the towel,
>which absorbs excess moisture), then what you're saving is almond
>cream / cheese, and what you're throwing away is a relatively clear
>wheyish substance: basically water.
>
>I think what you end up with using the method you had originally
>outlined leaves you with an eggshell filled with a sort of
>second-grade marzipan (I don't mean to be rude: it's just that if
>you have the almonds to make such a paste, you'd be throwing away a
>lot of their virtue in the process, so why do it?). I think it is
>the intention of the original cook / author to produce something
>more like a thick custard (actually something like an early form of
>frangipane cream).

Okay, since I happened to have a bag of ground almond meal on hand
for a quick and dirty almond milk, I made some using about 1 1/4 cups
ground almonds and about 4 cups of water. After blending and
straining out most of the larger particles (which I could have done
the "real" way by multiple infusions, but I decided I was in a slight
rush), I ended up with about three cups of good, thick almond milk,
about the consistency of heavy cream. (It was only 11PM; the night
was young!)

I brought this to a boil in a stainless steel saucepan and stirred in
pretty constantly with a wooden spoon, until the foam collapsed and,
eventually, it resembled a thick bechamel sauce, and finally, left
tracks from the spoon. Some residual grains of almond became more
apparent in the stuff as it thickened, but some of it may also have
been little curds. As it cooled it reached the consistency of a thick
batter.

I put a kitchen towel (should be a smooth fabric, _not_ terrycloth)
onto a large dinner plate, and simply spread out the "batter" onto
the towel, more or less like a pancake on a griddle. Soon after,
signs of liquid being absorbed and spreading across the towel became
evident, and the liquid in the towel seems to be clear and non-oily.
The cream pulls away pretty cleanly from the towel. It looks a lot
like incipient queso blanco or panir...

It's still draining and cooling, but my suspicion is that when it's
sweetened, the sugar will restore some of the smoothness and make it
seem less grainy.

Adamantius