[Sca-cooks] Need Help with a recipe...

Phil Troy/ G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius at verizon.net
Wed Sep 24 20:56:00 PDT 2003

Also sprach me:

>I put a kitchen towel (should be a smooth fabric, _not_ terrycloth)
>onto a large dinner plate, and simply spread out the "batter" onto
>the towel, more or less like a pancake on a griddle. Soon after,
>signs of liquid being absorbed and spreading across the towel became
>evident, and the liquid in the towel seems to be clear and non-oily.
>The cream pulls away pretty cleanly from the towel. It looks a lot
>like incipient queso blanco or panir...
>
>It's still draining and cooling, but my suspicion is that when it's
>sweetened, the sugar will restore some of the smoothness and make it
>seem less grainy.

The end result seems pretty much like ricotta, and as I suspected,
the sugar added seems to have the effect of a tenderizer and
stabilizer. It seems a _lot_ like the ricotta "buttercream" used to
fill cannoli, but with a fairly intense (but not so intense as if it
had been artificially flavored, which some marzipan now is) almond
flavor.

I didn't use any coloring or cinnamon, but am fairly convinced that
the strained almond milk, and not the strained solids, is being used
to make a "cheese" in the faux egg recipe.

Adamantius