[Sca-cooks] Smoked fish and meat--questions

Solveig nostrand at acm.org
Wed Sep 24 21:21:20 PDT 2003

Noble Cousins!

Greetings from Solveig!

>The trouble with smoked foods is that once preserved, refreshing them
>generally requires cooking- if you don't cook them, then breaking them into
>edible portions requires a bandsaw, or other heavy woodworking equipment.
>Once a properly smoked product is finished, it has roughly the density of
>dried wood.

That is what the Japanese do to katsuo. By the time it is finished, it
resembles a piece of wood. It is prepared by shaving off slivers with
a plane. The Japanese apply a number of words normally reserved for
carpentry to this food product. It is used for making soup stock and
as a garnish.
--

					Your Humble Servant
					Solveig Throndardottir

| Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D.         | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM, CoS   |
| deMoivre Institute              | Carolingia Statis Mentis Est       |
| mailto:nostrand at acm.org         | mailto:bnostran at lynx.neu.edu       |