[Sca-cooks] Syrup of Pomegranates

KarenO karen_ostrowski at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 25 05:38:41 PDT 2003

> I am looking at the syrup of pomegranates from Cariadoc's Miscellany. I
was thinking of making some for Rosh Hashanah. One thing I could use some
help on. I was planning to just run down to the Shuk and get Pomegranates,
and I'm not sure how to take the seeds and make them into Juice.
> --Yehoshua ben Haym haYerushalmi
> Jerusalem Israel

    The skin is very leathery, so score as you would an orange peel, place
the fruit in a deep bowl of water, and then gently peel away the scored
skin.  The bowl of water is so you don't accidentally break the juicy seeds
and spurt juice -- it will stain.  Gently scoop the seeds from the core &
skin, place them in another bowl or vessel & gently squeeze/mash  the seeds
to extract the juice.  strain to separate juice from seeds and keep going!
Ir if you have an orange juicer, treat the pomegranates as if they were
oranges -- except watch for the spurting highly staining juice.

There is available commercial Pomegranate juice  --  I bought some at a
local health food store, a bit pricy at $5 something for a quart.
Indo-European brand {product of Lebanon} has Pomegranate molasses, which is
basically concentrated pomegranate juice.

Caointiarn
Billings, Montana