[Sca-cooks] OT: Quick question about canning

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 25 07:51:12 PDT 2003

I have made apple butter and pear butter. You can
treat it like you do jams and jellies.  Take your
hot finished apple butter and pour it into
sterile jars, up to 1" or so from the top of the
jar.  Melt parafin and pour it directly onto the
hot apple butter.  I try to put a 3/8" layer,
that will seal your apple butter for at least one
year.

I have have a canner, but I prefer the above
method, as it is much less work.

Huette

--- WyteRayven at aol.com wrote:
> I would like to try my hand at making some
> apple butter and canning it.
>
> I was wondering if I actually need to go out
> and buy a canner, or if I can just use one of
> the pots I already have? I know that the rack
> would make it easier to remove the jars, but I
> also dont have much disposable cash at the
> moment, and if I can just use what I have that
> would be great.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ilia

=====