[Sca-cooks] OT: Quick question about canning

Etain1263 at aol.com Etain1263 at aol.com
Thu Sep 25 07:54:19 PDT 2003

In a message dated 9/25/2003 10:40:59 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
WyteRayven at aol.com writes:

> I would like to try my hand at making some apple butter and canning it.

You don't need to "can" it.   I'm assuming you mean a hot water bath canner.
You make sure your jars are clean (hot soapy water...rinse in hot and place
upside down on a towel until ready to use).  Make your apple butter (crockpots
with the lid off are great for this!)
  Now...you sit the jars upright, grate some parafin into the bottom...pour
in your HOT apple butter...and the wax will melt and rise to the top!   When it
cools...it will seal.   You can put a lid and ring on it to keep it
clean...and it keeps very well.  Once the wax seal is broken...keep it in the
refrigerator.

Etain...who uses both water bath and pressure canning for other things....