[Sca-cooks] Syrup of Pomegranates

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 25 09:05:29 PDT 2003

I should think that bottled pomegranate juice would be available in
Israel.  Evidently our friend Yehoshua is a tough intrepid cook-type
person and trying it out on his own.  Fresh is always better!  I'm with
you about the gentle whiz with a blender, but I might cook them a little
first.  Don't bother adding water, just squish them a little bit, they
will yield enough liquid for the purpose.    If you're really intrepid
and historical, cook the liberated pomegranate seeds gently  then put
them through a cheesecloth bag and squeeze out the lovely essence.  Wear
rubber gloves if you don't want purple hands, this stuff stains like crazy.

L'Shana Tova, Selene Colfox