[Sca-cooks] Midrealm Coronation Lunch

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Sep 25 08:54:50 PDT 2003

Stefan li Rous wrote: with questions regarding my luncheon--
regarding my 20 page booklet detailing all the dishes with a massive
>> bibliography of course.
>
> Oh! Sounds like it would be an interesting report and useful to others
> researching similar feasts. Would it be possible for me to get a
> electronic copy of this booklet for the Florilegium?

Yes I will send it along later this week.

Regarding: Oatcakes and  Barley Cakes,
> > How well did these go over?

They went over fine I guess. They disappeared. Could have used some time
to make some more varieties. It was raining off and on and humid which
means they get limp, so I didn't bake a lot of them and made just one
batch at the last moment.

> What kind of
> marmalade?
> What is the differance between a "marmalade" and a "preserve"? They are
> both fruit pastes, right?

Orange- bitter orange. See C. Anne Wilson's Book of Marmalade for
history. They are more like a jam to may way of thinking.

>> Feather Fowlie Soup,
> > Recipe? I assume this isn't fowlie with their feathers. :-)
"Clarissa Dickson Wright traces this soup back to the white soups of the
16th century and says in this version it was a beloved soup of Mary,
Queen of Scots but I have yet to locate another or her source for saying
so. I do know that as a dish McNeill thought it was older than the more
well-known Cock-a-Leekie. Also I do know  that I served this soup at the
Scottish Crown Feast for TRM Hugo and Caitlin in 1981 and my article on
it appeared later in Tournaments Illuminated." [Lewis, Johnnae llyn.
“Chicken Soup Recipes of Scotland”  by Johnnae llyn Lewis.	 Fall 1981 (#
60)]

HRM Alasdair was quite amazed by this because it was a soup with meat in
it. I did 10 pounds of chickens and about 3 pounds of ham in it to a
gallon and a half of broth.

>> Grilled Beef Steaks
> Oh? More evidence for grilled steaks? Recipe or documentation would be
> nice. We've discussed steaks here before.

>It’s noted in the aforementioned accounts that the Earl of Angus and his family consumed three beef “staiks’ on 19 July 1608.
I chose to grill these, although they might have been spit roasted and
carved in 1608. It does say "staiks" in the accounts. I did spit roast
the beef roast as one piece of beef over a fire with smoke.

>> Drinks of Various Sorts with Ice.
> What drinks did you come up with?

"In 1608 the Earl drank French wine and local ales. “Canerie” and
“Malaga” wines are mentioned, but ale seems to have been the most common
drink. John Reid for September writes: “Make Cyder, Perry, and other Wines.”

"We have today supplied a variety of soft drinks as requested including
regular Brisk iced tea, plain water, Diet lemon "Brisk" tea, Diet Dr.
Pepper and Raspberry Brisk, along with lemons."
This was per TRM's request.

Hope this answers some of the queries.

Johnnae llyn Lewis