[Sca-cooks] Re: need help with a recipe. . .

melissa m denison baroness7 at juno.com
Thu Sep 25 16:11:19 PDT 2003

This is one of my favorite really fun recipes. I've been working with it
for about 10 years now. First of all, I have tried both ways with the
"whey" vs the "paste." The whey is what will become the cream. Put the
paste in the garbage, use to make a "lighter" batch of milk, or put it in
the compost pile. Don't use it in the eggs. First, it's too chunky to go
in the holes very well and second, you've put all the flavor in the milk.
Take the "whey"/milk and cook it down until it is very thick, like cream.
Make sure to keep close tabs on it as it will both scald and boil over
just like real milk.

I made these last spring for a Lenten remove at a Coronation. I also made
a Jewish (lots of eggs needed) feast this summer. So myself and about 4
other people blew about 6 dozen eggs. Poke a large tapestry needle in
through both ends. Widen the hole at one end. Pierce the yolk with the
needle and "scramble" it in the shell. Then blow. You can freeze the
blown eggs so don't worry about how many you do at a time. As long as you
can keep blowing, keep going! Always make "spares" as you will have at
least a few casualties in the cooking process. I recommend using the
saffron & cinnamon to color & flavor the "yolk." It looks great and
tastes even better. Don't substitute food color for the saffron. Make
sure not to over fill the eggs or they explode. I also use the syringe
method of filling. I've tried using a spoon (figuring that they didn't
have syringes in the Middle ages) it works but it takes forever!

Have fun with this!

Diana MacLean
Calontir

Huette wrote:

While Adamantius have given you some excellent
advise on how to make the almond cream, no one
seems to have addressed this comment from you:
--- kattratt <kattratt at charter.net> wrote:

> 6. Carefully poke holes into both ends of the
> eggs, a large hole at the
> wide end, and a pin hole at the narrow. Holding
> each egg over a bowl,
> blow through the pin hole, blowing out the yolk
> and the white into the
> bowl. You may refrigerate the yolks and whites
> for later use. Rinse out
> the empty egg shells with warm water.

I remember blowing eggs like this as a child, as
my mother loathed hard-boiled eggs at Easter.  If
I remember correctly, the yolks usually broke as
they came out, so we usually ate a lot of
scrambled eggs for breakfast.  My mother would do
a few eggs at a time, so we wouldn't be
overwhelmed with too many eggs on a daily basis.
She then washed and dried the shells, letting us
color the shells like Easter eggs.  She then
would fill the eggs with small candies and seal
the holes with Easter stickers to keep the
candies inside.