[Sca-cooks] Oatcakes-- was Midrealm Coronation Lunch

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Thu Sep 25 18:52:25 PDT 2003

>david friedman wrote:
>>>  Oatcakes and  Barley Cakes, Assorted Breads and Manchets,
>>   >> Johnnae llyn Lewis
>>  >
>>  Do you have a period recipe for oatcakes? I have a conjectural one,
>>  based on Froissart's brief mention of their use by scottish troopers,
>>  and would be interested to compare.
>--------------------------
>
>I actually turned up more descriptions than just the Froissart mention.

>Hope this helps.

Thanks. Lots of interesting stuff.

My guess is that Froissart's oat cakes aren't raised, given the
constraints of what they are being used for. Just oatmeal, water and
salt gives a reasonably good result. But it would be nice if we could
find something more extensive earlier than the 17th c.
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/