[Sca-cooks] Oatcakes-- was Midrealm Coronation Lunch

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Thu Sep 25 19:27:05 PDT 2003

Olive Geddes points out that the documents surviving for Scotland are
few and far between. We have all these incomplete household accounts and
records and no recipes. In terms of food history and records, the
country lags the rest of Europe. I have this feeling that she found it
easily to do her book on golf than to research the food history of
Scotland for The Laird's Kitchen Three Hundred Years of Food in Scotland
which she did for the National Library of Scotland and the HMSO.

I would think that the Froissart oatcakes are just meal and water and
baked by the fireside. But around a hearth and with access to yeast from
ale barm, there probably also grew up the "raised" or leavened cakes.
There seems to be a variance of opinion as to what quality of meal to
use as well as how thick to make the cakes.

Johnnae llyn Lewis