[Sca-cooks] The Cloisters in NYC - was, Attention Adamantius and anyone else....

AEllin Olafs dotter aellin at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 26 07:41:37 PDT 2003

Huh? Not in my circles - I grew up calling both the opera and the museum
the Met. All in context. And when I was in High School I used to drop by
the museum after school (just down the block) and knew (and sang with)
musicians who played at the opera... this wasn't unfamiliarity.

They finally got real and put up signs that say "Sixth Ave." for the
sanity of the visitors...

The Cloisters is a bit of a hike from anyplace else you plan to be. I
know, it's in my neighborhood... wonderful as it is, if time is limited
that ride on the A, even though it's a great express, is a time eater.
But there's nothing quite like standing in a Real Medieval Cloister
Garden... or on the terrace, looking out at the Hudson... Oh, yeah,
there's great art, there, too...  The ambiance is amazing, though. It
doesn't feel like a museum. It feels like a monastery... chapel,
cloister, you know that hundreds of men over  hundreds of years lived
and worked and prayed while they walked these paths... (OK, that's
easier when you don't arrive together with the school tours...   ;-) )

AEllin