[Sca-cooks] Royal authenticity

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 26 08:47:55 PDT 2003

>So, are there any Royalty that encourage authenticity? Or do these
>non-authentic examples stand out more *because* they are the exception?

>Stefan

Well, I can name a few just off this list. And there are others, besides.
And even if the Crown wants things more authentic it doesn't mean
the populace will comply. I recall my Coronation feast where I had to
constantly correct the menu until the Cook told me flat out, "I'm a Laurel
and I know what I'm doing!". Um...she didn't.

I also tried to encourage the hiding of mundanity once I saw some photos
of Coronation and in the middle of one gorgeous shot there was a Coke can.
When I pointed out that such things ruin the atmosphere and I'd hate for
more beautiful pictures to be ruined by mundanity all I got in reply was
ways
the photo could be edited. <sigh>

Our current Heirs have promoted period dress and looks. Although they are
not
sticklers for period food, per se, they still appreciate it and make sure
that period
dishes are mentioned and praised.

I think that as the SCA becomes more authentically-minded we will see more
of
this. Look at the tournament companies, the prevalence of more authentic
dress
and pavillions, the side-sword programs, the equestrian tournament and all
the
other ways things are growing in the Society. It wasn't too long ago that
blue
jeans and a tunic were acceptable forms of dress.

With the knowledge that is building in the areas of period cookery and with
the
presentation of period food that is actually <gasp!> edible to the modern
palate
we will begin to see less of the "Must have Chocolate at every event"
commands.

Too often it is because the Crown doesn't know any better. To the general
populace
all that was drunk in period was ale, mead and wine. That's one reason I
offered
syrup drinks at my last Coronation feast. To show that you can have a period
drink that
isn't alcoholic. I love the idea of the small ale as well. I'll have to do
that one.

Yers,

Gunthar