[Sca-cooks] Royal authenticity

johnna holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Fri Sep 26 09:18:59 PDT 2003

Of the drinks that were requested water (requested with lemon) was the
perhaps most authentic choice. From research I knew that and wrote that
"In 1608 the Earl drank French wine and local ales. “Canerie” and
“Malaga” wines are mentioned, but ale seems to have been the most common
drink. John Reid for September writes: “Make Cyder, Perry, and other Wines.”

I did include apple juice for the table and some drank that. It's always
a question of balance and compromise and in this case very few people
even saw the tables, let alone what they were drinking. It wasn't as
though the mundane choices were being flaunted to the populace at large.

Johnnae llyn Lewis