[Sca-cooks] Beverages, was Royal authenticity

AEllin Olafs dotter aellin at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 27 09:42:39 PDT 2003

I suspect that part of this is the driving force of need...

We don't *need* honey butter, or any other sweet spread to put on bread.
Yes, people expect it, but they expect it because we give it to them,
and the only way to break that cycle is at our end.

We do, however, *need* a beverage we can serve other than ale, beer,
wine, mead, or hard cider. And there are many reasons that this is a
real need, not just a "It would be nice if" sort of thing. I mean, we
can just serve water, but, as was pointed out, that's not really period
for many places either... sure, peasants might drink it, but not anyone
who could afford anything else. And fresh cider might be served at this
time of year, but not in March...

Even if sekanjabin was served as a beverage, it wasn't served in
Northern Europe. So it's a stretch already, for many of our feasts.
Lemons weren't readily available either. I've actually been wondering
about this - not just for feast service, but for my own use, at least in
theory - what would I (my Norwegian persona)  drink that isn't alcohol?
Personally, I'm not authentic enough to face a cup of ale in the
morning, though I know it was done...

AEllin