[Sca-cooks] Beverages, was Royal authenticity

Wanda Pease wandap at hevanet.com
Sat Sep 27 17:44:16 PDT 2003

Nancy,

	Why do you say that milk isn't (wasn't?) safe to drink?  When we used to
visit a dairy farm owned by friends of my parents it was a "macho" thing to
drink from a cup filled at the teat.  The cows were tested every few months,
but they had never had any disease problems and that was typical of the
farms in the surrounding area.  I realize that we now insist on
Pasteurization (originally to kill TB bacteria I believe). Certainly people
in the 1800's were drinking milk straight from the cow (cows and milkmaids
were features of at least one London Park in Regency times).  While TB was
spread through infected cows, not all cows were infected, nor did everyone
catch it.

	Hasn't Nanna Rognvaldardottir from Iceland mentioned drinking whey as well
as using it as a meat preservative or an ingredient in cooking?

Regina