[Sca-cooks] gnoochi italian feast

Ariane H phoenissa at netscape.net
Sun Sep 28 15:12:29 PDT 2003

Greetings!

I'm not sure how much help I can be with the recipe itself, but the
pronunciation question I can take care of.  "Gnocchi" (notice the two
c's instead of two o's - although it can be easy to confuse them in
print!) is pronounced like "nyoh-kee," accent on the first syllable.
The Italian "ch" is always, always a hard "k" sound.  The "gn," same as
in words like "lasagna" or "compagna" is pronounced "ny."

As for the recipe - I assume you're not talking about modern gnocchi,
which are made from potatoes?  The word literally means "dumpling" so
while it is used most often for the potato pasta, it could refer to any
number of dishes.  I vaguely recall that there is a period Italian
recipe for flour, cheese and egg dumplings, as you describe - it was
served at a feast I helped out with about four years ago, but I can't
remember anything about the source or even preparation (whether they
were baked, boiled, etc.).  If you have more information or a more
detailed recipe you could share with us, that would be awesome!  :-)  It
might also make it easier to get answers to your questions...

Vittoria