[Sca-cooks] gnoochi italian feast

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Sun Sep 28 16:38:04 PDT 2003

Checking the floreligium (came across it doing a Google search for
"gnocchi history"), I find some posts by Anahita, referring to "The
Medieval Kitchen" by Redon et al. :

Chapter: Soups and Pasta: Potages
Recipe 9. Cheese Gnocchi
p. 63-64

If you want some gnocchi, take some fresh cheese and mash it, then
take some flour and mix with egg yolks as in the making migliacci.
Put a pot full of water on the fire and, when it begins to boil, put
the mixture on a dish and drop it into the pot with a ladle. And when
they are cooked, place them on dishes and sprinkle with plenty of
grated cheese. (from Grammento di un libro di cucina del sec. XIV)

She goes on to give their worked out recipe and her comments. But
this is the important part--the original recipe (at least in
translation).

Sounds good. I don't think there's any queso fresco in the refrigerator ...  .
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/