[Sca-cooks] mustard help

Tom Bilodeau tirloch at cox.net
Sun Sep 28 17:25:39 PDT 2003

The recipe in Rumpolt says

Braun Senf mit lauterm Essig angemacht / ist auch gut

Or

Brown mustard with clear vinegar put in it is also good.

I've found that apple cider vinegar works better with crushed brown mustard
seeds.  White vine vinegar with brown mustard seeds is too acidic for most
palates - unless you are accustomed to it.  YMMV.

I also found that it is best to make the mustard and then let it sit and age
for a few weeks.  The longer, the better - sort of mellowing the
ingredients. You can then serve it as tick mustard - suitable to spreading
on pretzels or on other foods.

 Tirloch