[Sca-cooks] Beverages, was Royal authenticity

UlfR parlei at algonet.se
Sun Sep 28 21:19:19 PDT 2003

AEllin Olafs dotter <aellin at earthlink.net> [2003.09.27] wrote:
> theory - what would I (my Norwegian persona)  drink that isn't alcohol?
> Personally, I'm not authentic enough to face a cup of ale in the
> morning, though I know it was done...

When? Norway a a political entity has existed more (or periodically
less) continually for over a millenium, over half a millenium if SCA
period. The difference between Viking age farmers in Telemarken and
upper class nobility in 16th century Bergen might be rather large...

My guess would be water, various milk products and various beer like
products for the early case above. Note guess; the only evidence we have
of food for this period is some few litterary mentions (Rigstula is
rather unhelpful for the common folks, darn it), and archaeological
evidence.

UlfR

UlfR Ketilson                             ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
Graduate life: It's not just a job.  It's an indenture.