[Sca-cooks] Beverages, was Royal authenticity

AEllin Olafs dotter aellin at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 28 22:21:14 PDT 2003

Thank you for asking! (Don't know why I didn't say... I don't really
expect people to remember, though I talk as if I did.) Definitely not
viking. 14th Century and, indeed, in Bergen. Not noble, probably a
merchant (widow running husband's business, I think), but I'm still
looking for information - it's not as readily available as some other
places. So, I'm thick... I like a challenge, what can I say. Any
information you can point me towards is appreciated!

So, yes, quite urban, very much in touch with the rest of Europe.
Closest links are probably to Germany - I think I'm settling in to right
*before* the Hanse moved in (as I think  they'd put me out of business)
but the connections are certainly there.

I would have decent wine in my house, as well as beer, etc. But even in
the city I think dairy products were more common than in the South - the
temperature helps.  I doubt I'd fully trust the water...

Small beer has been mentioned a few times, but I don't know anything
about it but the name. Is there anything  like it currently available? I
was wondering about Malta, though that's totally a wild guess... I'm not
familiar with that, either. Anyone know?

AEllin