[Sca-cooks] Redacting another Jewish dish (fwd)

Zachary Kessin zkessin at cs.brandeis.edu
Sun Sep 28 21:42:17 PDT 2003

The karites are a Jewish Sect that broke off some time in period, as
someone else noted they don't follow the oral law, as a result they are
much of the details on how to observe the Shabbat that are in the talmud
they don't do. In specific they don't allow any fire to go over Shabbat.

 On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 jenne at fiedlerfamily.net wrote:

> > Well, it is the custom, in order to show that we are not karrites,
>
> 'karrites' what does this word mean?

> > have warm food for lunch on Shabbat. In modern times people use a
> > crock pot or hot plate or the like, but in period they would have
> > used a fire that had been banked and the like. Mostly you would have
> > some form of a stew.
> >
> > If anyone likes I can try to have a friend find the laws of this in
> > the Shulkan Aruch or the RAMBAM's Mishna Torah. But it will have to
> > wait until next week. Both of those works are period books of Jewish
> > law. And they are both still studied and used today.
>
> This would be GREAT, especially as I have friends who have thought about
> trying to do a period shabbat meal for a small group.

The rules for this are somewhat complex, but I will try to get a copy of
the Schulcan Aruch and post a summery if I can. In truth you should
consult a Rabbi on how to do this.

I did verify that the Schulcan Aruch (16th century) says that some people
have the custom to serve a meat pie for dinner in Shabbat, it was covered
(by the dough) from above and bellow, in rememberence of the Manna in the
Desert. It does note that this custom is not binding.

--Yehoshua