[Sca-cooks] Beverages, was Royal authenticity

Nancy Kiel nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 29 14:32:02 PDT 2003

OK, let's look at what was being drunk in the SCA period.  We have
established that water was generally unhealthy, unless it came from a spring
or was boiled.  Perhaps I am in error on the safety factor of milk, but in
general it doesn't seem to be considered something to drink.  And remember
what lasts longer, fresh milk or "processed"---cheese or butter.  Fruit
juices IN PERIOD will not keep well.  Again, they will last longer if
fermented.  Coffee and tea aren't available in Europe; I am not familiar
enough with the originating cultures to know when they first became
available. The period-ness of sekanjubin AS A BEVERAGE has been discussed,
without evidence for or against it.  I am unfamiliar with such syrup-based
drinks---are the syrups simply added to water, or is the water boiled or
specified as spring water?

For ambience, at a European-style event/feast, I would recommend small beer
(barely alcoholic) as the regular drink of EVERYONE regardless of age,
stronger beers perhaps for meals, and wine for the feast (preferably a
fairly harsh wine, or heavily sweetened wine, depending on your location in
Europe).

HOWEVER, there are rules about who can legally drink alcohol, and personal
choices about what to drink generally.  That's why I suggested offering
modern non-alcoholic beverages, so there will be something that people can
drink, and having people bring their own choices otherwise.

Nancy Kiel
nancy_kiel at hotmail.com
Never tease a weasel!
This is very good advice.