[Sca-cooks] forks (was Royal authenticity)

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Mon Sep 29 14:43:14 PDT 2003

In a message dated 9/29/2003 11:32:41 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com writes:

> I can scoop up food with flat breads or use chopsticks, but I'm not at all
> sure how to handle many of the foods commonly served at SCA and period feasts
> without a fork.

Well, you have to remember that not having a fork doesn't mean you have no
utensils at all.  My husband and I have a table knife, which he uses to cut meat
and other items into bite-size portions (which would mostly have been done
already by the time the food arrived at the table in period).  Solid items like
meat can be eaten with the fingers, being careful to let only the tips of the
fingers touch the food, and cleaning the fingers on bread if needed.  I also
use the bread to clean my plate of sauces between courses if I'm not already
using a bread trencher.  More slippery items, or small things like rice or peas,
 can be eaten with a spoon, which would also have been used, using a piece of
bread to push the food into the spoon if needed.  It only sounds difficult;
once I started doing it, I realized it was usually pretty easy.

As far as pasta, most of the medieval ones I've encountered are already in
relatively small pieces (ravielles), or in some form that can be cut (like
losyns), and can then be eaten with a spoon.  Forks seem to be primarily needed for
dealing with long strands of pasta which have not been cut.

Brangwayna