[Sca-cooks] I'm in a jam...

KarenO karen_ostrowski at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 29 15:37:38 PDT 2003

> I'm in a jam with my jelly.  :)
>
> Well, we picked 10lbs of concord grapes this year, and tried to make jelly
with them.  It's been discovered through some accounting that some eeeeediot
(me) only put in half the required amount of pectin.  We're patiently
waiting,  but it's been a little over a week with no gelling to be seen.
can the  syrup be re-processed and more pectin added?  Or do I have a whole
lot of  grape juice concentrate?

    The jelling should be apparent within the first day.  HOWEVER, all is
not lost!  YES, you can dump all that grape syrup back into a large pot,
reheat,  add the pectin and process again.

    As discussed in the past, the water bath being the best process; I have
for myself, had lids & rings in boiling water, the jars standing in very hot
water, the jam/jelly  hot and just poured the fruit into the still hot jars,
added a lid & ring, tightened it down then put on a towel to cool & POP!
Caointiarn