[Sca-cooks] Online facsimiles (mostly in Spanish)

Harris Mark.S-rsve60 Mark.s.Harris at motorola.com
Tue Sep 30 08:09:15 PDT 2003

Vittoria commetned:

My grand plan is to, someday, do a complete transcription and
translation of Scappi, but even with the grand discovery of this online
facsimile, I don't think I can do it until I get a real paper copy to
work from.  Besides, being a student, I'm cursed with not ever having
enough free time to do big projects like that.  But someday...
<<<<<

Well, such a work doesn't have to be completed all at once to be of use to the SCA and historic cooking community. You could do individual recipes or sections as you have time, get them online and add more as your time permits. Doing it this way on the web also allows you to get the work out before the public and get feedback from them. You can then use that feedback to improve things or find out what needs improvements. In the meantime the parts online will be of use.

And just as I've hosted other's translation projects in the Florilegium, I'd love to work with you on this project. My standard policy is that I take updates at any time on articles and the  copyright stays with the author.

For an example of how I have handled such projects in the past see these files in the FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS section:
Guisados1-art    (220K)  5/28/01    A translation of Ruperto de Nolaís
                                       1529 "Libre del Coch", part 1 of 2
                                       by Lady Brighid ni Chiarain.
Guisados2-art    (116K)  5/28/01    "Libre del Coch". part 2 of 2.
                                       Lenten recipes.

Stefan