[Sca-cooks] Beverages, was Royal authenticity

Robin Carroll-Mann rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 30 09:35:29 PDT 2003

On 30 Sep 2003, at 1:06, Stefan li Rous wrote:

>   Brighid ni Chiarain said:
> > I cited a period health manual, the "Banquete de Nobles Caballeros" by
> > Luis Lobera de Avila.  The author was a court physician to Carlos V.
> > The chapter on water which follows goes into great detail about
> > different sources of water, and what Galen other authorities have to
> > say about it.

> If you have, or would like to translate these comments on different
> sources of water, I'd love to have this for the florilegium file on
> water being drunk in period. Unless others are interested in these
> details this could be sent to me privately rather than to the list. And
> of course, when you have the time.

The time, aye, there's the rub!  :-)

I have embarked on a new project, as I mentioned in another post.  I am
translating a different health manual, the 1572 edition of the "Aviso de
Sanidad" by Francisco Nuñez de Coria.  There's an extensive section on
beverages at the end, mostly about varities of wines, and water, and a brief
description of aloxa, which is a spiced honey-water that seems almost
identical to de Nola's clarea de agua.

Buts that's in Book V, and right now I'm in Book I, which discusses wheat
and bread.

Barony of Settmour Swamp, East Kingdom
rcmann4 at earthlink.net