[Sca-cooks] Beverages, was Royal authenticity

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Sep 29 23:06:36 PDT 2003

  Brighid ni Chiarain said:
> I cited a period health manual, the "Banquete de Nobles Caballeros" by
> Luis Lobera de Avila.  The author was a court physician to Carlos V.
> At the end of his chapter on beer (a new-fangled beverage in Spain) he
> says, "And because in Spain there are many good wines and good water
> and there is little need of beer and it is not customary, I will not
> enlarge on this material.... It remains to speak of water, because
> many gentlemen and lords drink it, so I will speak of its selection
> and benefits."
I'm not quite sure this is evidence that water was served at a feast,
but this is very interesting.
> The chapter on water which follows goes into great detail about
> different sources of water, and what Galen other authorities have to
> say about it.
If you have, or would like to translate these comments on different
sources of water, I'd love to have this for the florilegium file on
water being drunk in period. Unless others are interested in these
details this could be sent to me privately rather than to the list. And
of course, when you have the time.

Thanks,
   Stefan
--------