[Sca-cooks] serving alcohol

Craig Jones drakey at webone.com.au
Tue Sep 30 21:03:59 PDT 2003

>>Johnna Holloway wrote:
>>So can one really serve even mild alcoholic drinks if they are being
for
>> by the feast or coming out of SCA monies?
>>Johnnae

>when we have served mead at events (about 2-3% alcohol, Digbie's Weak
>Honey Drink) the SCA has paid for no alcohol.  they did pay for some
>honey and some ginger root.  but no alcohol whatsoever.

>elaina

Ummm,

I didn't think this was allowed by Corpora either.  You can argue that
because people payed money for ingredients as part of the food budget,
they have payed for the alcohol too.

I'm assuming that you didn't have the appropriate licence or payed the
appropriate taxes (depending on where you lived).  So theoretically you
may not have broken Corpora rules but probably broke State or Federal
laws (again depending on where you live).

As a brewer and cook, I've done a couple of feasts where there was food
and alcohol.  The food was payed for by the feasters but the alcohol was
produced by me, payed for by me, and donated FREE OF CHARGE.  As far as
I am aware that does not break any SCA or mundane laws where I play...

I understand that not everyone is able to be so generous (especially for
large events) but some food for thought anyway....

Drake.