[Sca-cooks] RE: Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 11, Issue 1

Nanna Rognvaldsdottir nannar at isholf.is
Thu Apr 1 07:55:33 PST 2004

Huette von Ahrens wrote:

>I was perusing the Los Angeles Times food section
>this evening after dinner, when I came upon an
>article written by Charles Perry, called Alan
>Davidson, An Appreciation.
>
>snipped
>I don't recall anyone mentioning this on this
>list before and with Adamantius' mention earlier
>today of a planned Oxford Companion to American
>Food, I began to wonder if anyone else on this
>list knew of this terrible loss.

I knew. I was unable to attend the memorial but I was present at the Royal
Palace in Amsterdam when Alan was awarded the Erasmus Prize, less than a
month before his death. It was a wonderful day and I shall always cherish
the memory. I was fairly certain at the time that this would be the last
time I would see Alan, as his health was clearly failing - although he
sparkled at the award ceremony in his shiny bright orange silk jacket and
quite outshone Queen Beatrice.

Nanna