[Sca-cooks] Re: Sca-cooks Digest,Grain Mill Question

UrthMomma at aol.com UrthMomma at aol.com
Wed Apr 7 08:02:55 PDT 2004

James,

If she is ever making more than one batch of bread, get a real grain mill and
motorize the sucker.  I make bread and pizza dough couple times a week and
usually from home ground flour, grinding Prairie Gold or Montana 86 white wheat.
 Get a Country Living Mill and motorize it or get one of electric mills like
a Whisper Mill  to grind the flour.

Yes there are cheap ( $50 ) non electric clamp on the table mills and they
are fine for soaked corn for masa, but yield a nasty product for wheat or flint
corns. The cheap hand mills are ok for cracking bulger from cooked then dried
wheat, but that's about all the cheap hand  mills are good for when grinding
wheat.

Hand querns, hard to find, produce a lot of stone dust that wears down the
teeth when the flour produced there in is eaten regularly and a frightening
amount of hard physical work, usually delegated to the lowest status female of the
group.- read drudge or slave.  Now you know why only about a third of the
grain consumed by the medieval peasant was in the form of bread, according to
some sources (Gies, Francis and Joseph. 1990 Life in a Medieval Village. Harper &
Row, I think) I have read. Boiled grain, as porridge or pottage, was a whole
lot less work and expense if you have the fire going anyways.

the other Olwen
Barony of Sternfeld, Midrealm