[Sca-cooks] Requirements for a Laurel

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 8 12:05:43 PDT 2004

I had an interesting conversation with the Crown and a Laurel the
other night and we got to talking about what is required for
consideration. I was told flat out that I would not ever be eligible
because I don't enter competitions.

I have to admit that I was a bit shocked to hear that. But they
insisted that the only way you can get recognized is if you either
are apprenticed to a Laurel who pushes you constantly or you
enter competitions so your work can be judged.

Um....cooking feasts for 400 and handing out documentation
for each dish isn't? Teaching and cooking for 20 years isn't enough?
Being a judge for kingdom A&S competitions and counselling competitors
in presentation isn't enough?

This isn't a gripe about whether or not I should be a Laurel but I just
want to know if other Laurels or candidates feel that if you don't
enter competitions you can't ever become a Laurel. I personally
have no desire to enter competitions although I think I'm a decent
judge of what needs to be done.

So....what do you consider the requirements are for a Laurel?

Gunthar