[Sca-cooks] Re: Requirements for Laurel

The Sheltons sheltons at sysmatrix.net
Thu Apr 8 22:20:20 PDT 2004

I cooked a number of feasts and taught some classes on the Canton, Baronial
and Kingdom level before I received my Laurel. Appearing in competitions had
no impact on getting elevated. I did win the only competition I ever
entered, although it was less than an overwhelming victory. The competition
was for "Anything Italian."  I entered something I redacted from the Cuoco
Napoletano in preparation for a feast I was doing, complete with full
documentation. The only other entry was a codpiece with no documentation.

I probably never could have been elevated in Caid, because cooking is the
only A&S thing I do with more than a minimal amount of competency {if they
rewarded incompetency there are a number of art forms I can mangle}.  My
Knight/Laurel received his Laurel for music, but has now changed his field
of interest to C&I.  I've been a Laurel for 3 years now, and I'm still
finding so many new things to explore within the field of cooking (many
coming from this list) I can't see my interests changing to another field.

As far as what I look for in a candidate: being able to articulate a solid
understanding of their chosen subject; consistent high quality in production
using period materials and techniques (or explaining variations from); a
record of sharing their knowledge (University classes, local A&S
meetings/newsletters, etc.), and carrying themselves like someone I would
see as my equal in deportment (not the highest hurdle to clear).  I could
probably write this a whole lot clearer if it wasn't after 1:00 am, so I'll
quit at this point.

John le Burguillun OL OP
Nottinghill Coill, Atlantia