[Sca-cooks] Re: Requirements for Laurel

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 12 08:26:25 PDT 2004

Master John  wrote:

>I probably never could have been elevated in Caid, because cooking is the
>only A&S thing I do with more than a minimal amount of competency {if they
>rewarded incompetency there are a number of art forms I can mangle}.

I do not know when you left Caid, but they elevated a Cooking Laurel,
Baron Jamal Damien Marcus, in 2000.  Not so long ago.  Cookery is
beginning to be recognized.  From what I can observe, Jamal did a lot of
local cookery ["Baronial BBQ" is such an inadequate phrase!], some
teaching and some excellent custom meals for Royalty.  Oh, and he's
being Knighted soon, we are happy for him.

> My
>Knight/Laurel received his Laurel for music, but has now changed his field
>of interest to C&I.

Hmm, that Secret Laurel Handshake still won't find a really good seam in
his cuff, will it?  <grin, duck, run>
Adding new interests takes nothing away from his already-mastered
skills. If you do it right, skill-sets from different arts can enhance
each other. I'd like to see him tackle the scribal project of period
musical notation, I bet he would have it covered from Do to Ti!

I've been a "foodie" all my adult life;  I added leatherwork about 7
years ago.
I say that I can work with the inside -and- the outside of the cow.  <grin>
Much of my knowlege of blades has crossed over usefully;  sharpening and
maintenence
is equally important in both fields.

>As far as what I look for in a candidate: being able to articulate a solid
>understanding of their chosen subject; consistent high quality in production
>using period materials and techniques (or explaining variations from); a
>record of sharing their knowledge (University classes, local A&S
>meetings/newsletters, etc.), and carrying themselves like someone I would
>see as my equal in deportment (not the highest hurdle to clear).  I could
>probably write this a whole lot clearer if it wasn't after 1:00 am, so I'll
>quit at this point.
>
>John le Burguillun OL OP
>Nottinghill Coill, Atlantia

That deportment thing is the hardest to quantify.  How good do you have
to be at your chosen art to overcome a bit of individual quirkiness?
 Both Bladesmith Laurels I know are incredible craftsmen but awfully
ornery.  For that matter, I'm still unclear as to how my own blunt self
was considered adequate in the deportment category.  O those inscrutable
PLQ's, Peer-Like Qualities!

Yours in Sodality,
Selene Colfox, OP, OLC [GA/arts],
Altavia, Caid