[Sca-cooks] merchants as Laurels

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Wed Apr 14 23:26:07 PDT 2004

Eirene commented:
> I, too have heard that those who make a living (or at least support
> their SCA habit) with the proceeds of their craft won't get a Laurel -
> that somehow selling the goods cheapens the skills and PLQs.
I suspect in general this is true, but there are exceptions. It may
well be that, as with the general population of SCA players, that there
are a number that meet all the requirements for peerage, but for one
reason or another, visibility, personality, their circle of friends or
lack of the right people in the right places etc, just do not end up in
the pool that candidates are drawn from.

Anyway, one exception I can think of is Sir Conor mac Cinneide, O.L.,
who had been selling armor of his making for a number of years as Red
Dragon Armory before he got his Laurel mainly for armoring. Followed a
year or two later by his Knighthood.

Conor is still somewhat active, but no longer makes and sells armor
full-time. He found that doing computer support is much more
financially rewarding.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas