[Sca-cooks] period pizza

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Apr 15 00:05:39 PDT 2004

Helewyse commented:
> After all there are recipes for Pizza in Scappi (16th C
> Italian).  Of course it involves none of the following: bread dough,
> tomato sauce, cheese or pepperoni.  In fact it is sheets of thin pastry
> which are layered with melted butter, sugar and dried elderflowers.
> The pizza in the title essentially refers to a flat pastry in both
> cases.
But I believe we have discussed period pizza like dishes, although they
may not have been called pizza. Also what American's call pizza may not
be considered that in Italy or in various regions since there are
regional variations. You can, and they do, make pizza without tomato
sauce.

Helewyse, or anyone else, can you post this recipe from Scappi?

It has been several years since we discussed period pizza or period
pizza possibilities. A lot of it really depends upon your definition of
"pizza". Anyway, I'd love to see some additional information.

Here is a file with some of the previous comments on period pizza. This
is in the FOOD-BREADS section of the Florilegium:
pizza-msg         (12K) 11/ 9/03    Period pizza and similar items.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-BREADS/pizza-msg.html

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas