[Sca-cooks] merchants as Laurels

Solveig nostrand at acm.org
Sun Apr 18 21:15:05 PDT 2004

Noble Cousins!

Greetings from Solveig!

>  > Sounds like somewhere along the way, some folks got the SCA confused
>  > with the Olympics...

Yes. People do get that way although people are more inclined to insist
that folks give their work away in some areas than in others. Very few
armour makers are expected to give their stuff away. Practically all
scribes are required to give their stuff away.

As for merchants, people who are simply selling stuff are generally not
elligible. A very small group of people have made their stores into an
A&S artifact. These people should be elligibile for arts and sciences
awards including the Laurel. Artisans are a distinct group. Yes, they
may sell their stuff at a booth, but that is not the focus of what makes
them elligible for A&S awards.
--

					Your Humble Servant
					Solveig Throndardottir

| Barbara Nostrand, Ph.D.         | Solveig Throndardottir, CoM, CoS   |
| deMoivre Institute              | Carolingia Statis Mentis Est       |
| mailto:nostrand at acm.org         | mailto:bnostran at lynx.neu.edu       |