[Sca-cooks] Succet/Sucket Candy?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Apr 17 22:22:31 PDT 2004

Martha asked:
> Please tell me more about this succet candy!  This is something I'm
> just
> gettng started trying to find out about.
Are you specifically interested in suckets or period candying or period
candy in general? I believe the suckets were just a candy variant, more
moist or in a liquid, than say candy or candied peel or comfits.
However, sometimes the lines are a bit fuzzy about where one ends and
the other begins. So you might want to look through these various files
in the FOOD-SWEETS section of the Florilegium:
suckets-msg        (7K)  4/ 1/02    Spices, fruit or fruit peel in a
sugar syrup
comfits-msg       (44K)  9/ 1/02    Period candied spices and seeds.
Recipes.
candied-peel-msg  (51K)  3/27/04    Candied fruit peels. A late period
treat.
candy-msg        (192K) 12/27/03    Period candy. Recipes. Candied
fruit peels.
Sgr-a-Cnftns-art  (20K) 12/26/00    "Of Sugar and Confections" by Alys
                                        Katharine, O.L., O.P. (Elise
Fleming).
sugar-paste-msg  (104K)  6/29/03    Making sugar paste sotelties.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com