[Sca-cooks] herbs for hanging baskets?

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sun Apr 18 12:49:41 PDT 2004

I've recently added four 14-inch hanging baskets to our screen porch.
I'm planning on plant one with the peppermint which I bought yesterday
but would be interested in hearing any recommendations for another herb
or herbs to put in another. My wife will get to plant what she wants in
the other two.

I'm looking for something that will serve dual purposes. To look good
in the hanging basket and provide useful culinary or other useful
herbs. I picked the peppermint for the first basket since it should
grow bushy or over the edge and because folks here have mentioned that
the mints should be quarantined and a hanging basket seems to be a
pretty good way to do this.

These are hanging a little above eye level around the edges of the
screen porch, although they could be lowered by adding a length of
chain. The hot tub is in the center of the porch, so the air is
probably a little more humid than it would be elsewhere in the yard or
house. This is on the south side of the house and the baskets could
hang on either the east or west side.

I also have two window boxes/raised beds outside the screen porch which
have sprinkler heads attached to the lawn sprinkler system, where I
plan to clear out some of the decorative plants that are there and
plant some more herbs. I may also be able to tap off of the sprinkler
system and add drip sprinklers to some herbs in pots placed nearby. I
have a Rosemary plant which I also bought yesterday which is likely to
go in one of these boxes.

Thanks,
   Stefan
--------