[Sca-cooks] Wine must???

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Sun Apr 18 21:54:27 PDT 2004

Greetings everyone.
I've been poking about, online, trying to find out some information
about wine must.  I'd been under the impression (sort of) that it was a
by-product of the initial pressing of wine grapes--made from the stuff
left over? possibly high in sugars? From some of the online references,
it seems to be somewhat concentrated and syrupy.  Even shows up as an
ingredient in these greek cookies....Since it's very much the wrong
season for wine grapes locally, and I'm not exactly a vintner anyway,
I'm casting about looking for an acceptable substitute for my recipe
(mustard).
Would I be better off trying to smash some table grapes (if I can find
any imports), and cook those down? or use a bottle of 100% red grape
juice, and cook that down? or a bottle of wine (reduced to a syrupy
state)? I'm not sure if I'm after a more-pronounce grapey flavor (if you
know what I mean), or a winey flavor.  Heck, dunno if the must was even
fermented!
Any assistance would be much appreciated!
--maire, who really wouldn't know a good vintage if it up and bit her....