[Sca-cooks] Re: border crossings to windsor

iasmin at comcast.net iasmin at comcast.net
Wed Apr 21 11:39:41 PDT 2004

"the other Olwen" asked:
> How are the crossings at Windsor these days ? We haven't been over the
> river since summer of 2000. I'd like to get some good hard cider again.

I live in metro Detroit and regularly cross to Windsor. Travel has been mostly problematic because of traffic volume or weather. However, to the advice already given concerning taking the proper forms of ID I would add:

- take all of the forms of ID you have. More can never hurt you if you need it.

- know the exact address of where you're going if possible. If you're going to an event, take the event flyer with maps so you can show it to the border guards if they need it.

- check the local hockey game schedules for the Detroit Red Wings and the baseball schedule for the Detroit Tigers. Both stadiums are near the tunnel and bridge crossings in Detroit and will adversely affect all tradfic in that area if you're heading across in either direction when a game gets out.

- towards evening, traffic across the bridge will be slower than traffic through the tunnel because semi-truck drivers take up more room on the entrance and exit ramps leading to the bridge (they can't go through the tunnel).

- if you're remotely worried about anything you might own being confiscated or you being charged money for, including your armour and clothing that YOU MADE, learn how to declare items you own so that you won't run into trouble.

You can contact the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel Authority for information on the appropriate forms of ID and information on how to declare items by visiting their wesbite or calling them on the phone. I've included that information below:

http://www.dwtunnel.com/

AGENCY       CANADA          USA
Customs     (519) 257-6473   (313) 226-3139
Immigration (519) 257-7780   (800) 375-5283
(http://www.dwtunnel.com/customs.html)

There are many other suggestions that I have, none of which are based on anything other than common sense and my personal opinion. Feel free to email me privately if you'd like. Above all, though: be courteous even if they're not.

Iasmin

Mistress Iasmin de Cordoba, Baroness Roaring Wastes (metro-Detroit, MI)
iasmin at comcast.net