[Sca-cooks] Sour Cherry Pie

Patrick Levesque pleves1 at po-box.mcgill.ca
Thu Apr 22 16:10:07 PDT 2004

I had too much time on my hands yesterday evening so I tried out Platina's
sour cherry pie (book VIII, #40).

The recipe calls for well ground, pitted sour cherries, well cut-up red
roses, fresh cheese, aged cheese, ginger, pepper, sugar, and 4 eggs. (and
sugar and rosewater to sprinkle on top afterwards).

So I used:

1 can well washed Bing cherries (I hate the corn syrup taste but 'tis not
the season for fresh cherries, unfortunately) (about 1 1/2 cup)
1 large red rose, wased (watch out for pesticides if you do this)
1 pound cottage cheese
1 tablespoon parmesan
1/2 cup sugar
About 1 teaspoon dry ginger
About 1/2 teaspoon pepper
4 eggs

Used a mixer to turn the cottage cheese into a smooth paste. Added the
cherries and mixed everything more or less evenly. Finely hashed the rose
petals and threw that in as well. Mixed in the sugar, pepper, ginger. Beat
the four eggs together (not too fluffy) and added that.

This was enough to fill to 9" pastry shells. Baked in oven at 350 for about
one hour. By then it was 10h30 so I let it cool overnight.

----

Next time: more cherries, (fresh cherries!!) and maybe a tad more parmesan
(that's all I had left) and pepper. I makes for a nice looking pie, though,
and yummy enough. But it definitely needs more cherries (hmmmm....
Cherries...)

Petru