[Sca-cooks] non-illuminated scrolls

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 1 07:51:51 PST 2004

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Maire commented:
>
>> I don't even have a real scroll for my AoA...what I got was half a sheet
>> of paper (like half of an 8.5 x 11 sheet, only heavier paper), with
>> someone's Gothic text on it.  I know it's half a sheet because it wasn't
>> exactly cut precisely evenly, and my friend, who got her GoA that same
>> day, had the other half :o)
>
> Ironically, since the SCA has made great strides in becoming more
> authentic in so many ways, your scroll is actually more authentic than
> the fancier and fancier illuminated award scrolls we see these days.
> The document for a grant in period was simply a legal document. It
> would not have been illuminated in a blaze of color. I remember these
> same comments coming up over 12 years ago. And we have gotten further
> from this than we were then. But everyone likes the pretty colored
> award scrolls. They then make something pretty to hang on our walls.
> The words mean little to folks outside the Society, but they can oh
> and ah over the pretty illuminations and fancy calligraphy.

If I may be crass and recommend a scribal practitioner on a public board,
may I refer you to Lady Keterlin, whose work you have seen on some of
the best TI covers
and who can execute either plain, document-style scrolls or the fancy
illuminated sorts:
http://webpages.charter.net/questor527/OpeningPg.html

<http://webpages.charter.net/questor527/OpeningPg.html>