[Sca-cooks] Tonight on the Food Network - Biblical Foods

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Thu Apr 1 09:50:26 PST 2004

Also sprach Yehoshua ben Haym:
>The reason that kosher wines tend to be very sweet is that the grapes were
>being grown in New York.

Uh, I think we need a little more information on this. I'm kind of
assuming you're speaking of Concorde grape wines, which are almost
invariably sweet, and which are made from grapes frequently grown in
New York, but it's perfectly possible (at least in theory) to make a
dry wine from Concorde grapes. Certainly yeast strains exist that can
handle the sugar load.

I always assumed this was a stylistic choice. Are Kosher wines in
Europe and elsewhere generally dry? I thought vintners like
Manischewitz are imitating European wines like Malaga and Muscatel.
Is it just that these styles are best suited to the Concorde grape?
If so, have Kosher wines made in California any different?

Adamantius