[Sca-cooks] Tonight on the Food Network - Biblical Foods

Yehoshua ben Haym zkessin at cs.brandeis.edu
Thu Apr 1 09:37:21 PST 2004

Actually yeast has nothing to do with it. The restriction is on "Hammetz"
which is a technical term involving grain and water in contact for 18
minutes without cooking. Wine is made from grapes therefore no problem.
Don't forget no one knew what yeast was when these laws were codified.

The reason that kosher wines tend to be very sweet is that the grapes were
being grown in New York. Some of the wines from Israel are quite good.
Someone gave my lady a bottle of wine from a winery near Shilo that I am
quite looking foward to trying. I think its a new winery.

--
Yehoshua ben Haym haYerushalmi
Senischal soon to be Shire of Beit Aryeh